Monday, January 31, 2011

Macroeconomics CLEP

I took the CLEP Macroeconomics exam this afternoon and passed with a 63. I prepared on and off for this exam over the course of several months--usually studying for a few hours and then abandoning it because I realized that it made more sense to take a different test next due to cross-over efficiencies, etc. I started in earnest a week and a half ago and put in an hour or two each day--mostly with IC but I also read through a Cliffs Economics book and a Pass Your Class guide.

As far as the subject material goes, it's not my thing. Some of it is intuitive--but most of it doesn't gel for me. I needed a lot of repetition to get some of this to sink in. This is the second CLEP I took solo (I went to the testing center and took only one test)--the first was Statistics. I'm finding these tests more difficult than all the computer and psych-type tests. It actually makes me question why I'm pursuing a business degree because I really don't dig this stuff at all.

Earlier this week I took the CLEP practice test and got 45/60. Not terrible--but some questions that I didn't know--I REALLY didn't know. I took my first Petersons the next day and got 49/80. I took the second today and got 60/80. I never got around to the third one.

I had a lot of trouble logging in at the testing center but once I got started everything was fine. I paced myself and finished with four minutes to spare. I went back and looked at all but a few I had marked for review--but only changed one answer.

I think it might be helpful to give anyone reading this post some perspective of my ability vs. my score if I describe the stuff I DIDN'T know come test time:

I could not complete with confidence any of the bank reserve problems. It's a simple enough formula and concept, but these problems didn't have any loan amounts and focused on the "extra reserves" which I just could not get my mind around--despite knowing the basic formula and using it successfully when practicing. The answers I was coming up with were so bad they weren't even options! Another thing I can't do is tell why most curves are shifting and what it means. I did know some basics--but it didn't help me much on the test. I also couldn't remember if you should increase or decrease gov't spending to combat inflation. Even still, due to lucky guessing and perhaps some good basic (as opposed to deep) knowledge, I scored a 63. Not great--but I passed with room to spare.

I was feeling great for the first 20 or so problems--but the middle 40 almost killed me. This was the first test where I thought there was a serious chance that I didn't pass. 

No comments:

Post a Comment