Friday, February 11, 2011

World Population ECE

Passed this one with an A. Overall, I think this is a very doable exam with adequate prep. I didn't prep as much as I should have, so the test seemed more difficult than I had anticipated. I was pressed for time, so I opted to purchase the set of practice exams and use them as my primary study tool. They are as good as gold, and I passed thanks to them, with a little help from IC and the feedback here. I studied for two days; I went through the first and second sections of IC once, then took the practice exams with the following scores: 51 & 71 out of 100. Reviewing the practice exams were the most helpful because the explanations of the multiple-choice options are very detailed. Also, many of the same questions showed up on the actual exam, although they were worded differently.

Going into this exam, I was not sure how gauge the grading criteria. The ECE technical sheet states that the cut score is 81, which was hard for me to comprehend in comparison with CLEP and DSST. Others in this thread have mentioned that it is a good idea to identify which sections (either through the IC flashcards or practice exams) need more study. If I had a better knowledge of case studies, migration & urbanization, and mortality, I would have felt more comfortable. Overall, I probably averaged close to 80%, which would mean roughly 104/130 questions, although 10 of those were unscored pretest questions. 

A few questions I remember: 

What was responsible for famine in China? (Great Leap Forward)

What is a population's footprint/ecoprint? (deforested areas)

Which natural resources are responsible for regulating the carbon and hydrologic cycles? (forests)

Which statistic can be calculated by the census alone (crude birth rate- all other choices require vital stats)

Original goal of the census in the U. S.? (congressional reapportion)

What is the distribution pattern of migrants in the U. S.? (rural areas, urban areas, follow resident patterns, or evenly distributed)

What is the internal migratory pattern within the U. S.? (West & Midwest, Northeast & Midwest, South & West)

Why is 104-110 an acceptable estimated range for sex ratios?

Who is considered an asylee? 

Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. Hey,

    I have to decide between two ECE exams - World Population and World Conflicts since 1900. Since you have taken both which one do you think is easier/ recommend?

    Please let me know as soon as possible!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete